Skip to main content

My Hero, My Idol, My Great Grandma


Today would have been my Great Grandmas 109th birthday. A lot of people probably never met any of their Great Grandparents. I was lucky to have had 18 years with one.

My Great Grandma, was the mother of my Grandma on my mum’s side. Her name was Mary King, but most people knew her as Molly. She past away when she was 103 and a week. That week is very important to me. I didn't even know it would be her last week with us. As a family it wasn't spent worried and preparing ourselves for her final few days, I didn’t even see her that week. 

The last time I saw my Great Grandma was on her 103rd birthday, opening her presents and cards in a care home she’d only spent the last 3 weeks of her life in because until those last three weeks, she lived in the same home she’d lived in for over 80 years.

My 18th birthday was five days after her 103rd. I’d finished college, planned a party for the weekend, I wanted to invite her, although I don’t think a party full of drunk 18 year olds was exactly her thing.

Two days after my birthday, the 30th of June 2011, my Great Grandma passed away. I remember everything about that day. 

My mum came into my room that morning to say she was taking my Grandma to visit my Great Grandma, this wasn’t new, my Grandma and Grandad would go over to Leeds more than twice a week and Mum said she was giving my Grandad a break. I wanted to go too but I had a beauticians appointment at 1pm so Mum agreed to take me in two days, the day after my party thinking I could show Great Grandma all the photos and gifts I received. 

It was such a hot day that I walked down to the salon. When I was walking home around 2:30pm my friend Jack called me to talk about my party the next day, I remember laughing with him whilst my mum was ringing my phone. She called me again so when I’d made it home I said I’d call Jack back and ended the call.

I didn’t call Jack back. I wasn’t ready for what my Mum had to say. Mum told me my Great Grandma passed away, I was home alone. I just sat on the sofa, staring out the window and the house phone rang, it was my Uncle Michael (Mum’s brother). Mum had tried to call him and she wasn’t answering now, I had to tell him myself. It was the weirdest feeling hearing the words come out of my own mouth. 

I didn’t cry, I couldn’t cry, I was in shock. My tan didn't have a streak in sight, but I couldn't have cared less, all I could think about is when she passed away I was getting a spray tan for a party that I didn't even want anymore.

Throughout the next two weeks and the whole day of her funeral, I still didn't cry. It was so surreal. It didn't feel like she was gone. I’d never experienced death before. I didn’t think about the possibility of anyone close to me ever passing away. I used to joke that she was immortal, I think I’d said it so much that I started to believe that too.

My Great Grandma was the best. I’m definitely biased but she really was. She would say she's watching her tele every night incase I pop up in the background of Waterloo Road again, even when the show was between seasons. I swear she had Facebook when I turned up one day and she asked how my boyfriend was and I’d not even told her yet. She'd looked after herself and lived in the same home where she’d given birth and brought up my Grandma, Christine and her older sister, June. The same house we used to visit her, sat in her chair always wearing an apron waiting to make cups of tea for visiting friends and family. 

I still have the money she gave me from our last Christmas with her. I have a bunny rabbit soft toy from when I was little that she gave me with my name on, sat in my bedroom. I see her in myself every day, especially when I’m stubborn and won’t give in, like she was only having one person come check on her in the mornings besides family and friends and refused to have an emergency alarm cord or bracelet for incase she falls. She was a Great-Great Grandma from her eldest daughters side of the family and somehow she managed to remember to send a card on everyones birthday. 

It’s been six years since I last saw my Great Grandma, I still haven't cried for her, I don't know if I ever will. I think because it doesn't seem real, I don't think it ever will, it still feels like she's at her home in Leeds and we've just not been to visit recently. I'll can still remember kissing her on the cheek goodbye and saying ‘love you’ on my last visit. I hope I don't ever forget that moment. 


Happy 109th Birthday to my Hero, my Idol, my Great Grandma.

Me with my Great Grandma a few days after I was born.

One of my favourite photos, Great Grandma at Uncle Michael and Auntie Janet's Wedding.

The last time I saw my Great Grandma, on her 103rd birthday.

Great Grandma's 100th birthday with her two daughters, Christine (my Grandma - on the left) and June.

Great Grandma's 100th birthday with her Grandson Michael (my Uncle).

Great Grandma's 100th birthday, receiving her card from the Queen.

Great Grandma's 100th birthday with her Great Granddaughter Megan (my Cousin).

Great Grandma's 100th birthday with her Granddaughters Pamela and Janet (my Mum and Auntie).

Great Grandma's 100th birthday, surrounded by family and friends after blowing out her candles.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When I Eventually Wake Up

I’ve lost track of what day of the week we’re on, what month or season. I’m dripping in sweat, it feels like Summer, but then I’m shivering, so is it Winter? I realise its still daytime from the stream of light peaking through sides of the blinds. The beauty of a sunrise or sunset taken away by the burning in my eyes. The birds singing outside that sounds like nails on a chalkboard. Every car driving past my window, the mumbling through my floorboards of my family watching TV, the postman at the door, the gardener mowing the lawn, all irritating me like an itch that you just can’t scratch. My chest feels so heavy that I can’t lift it off the mattress, my shoulders pinned down by the invisible weights. My heads pounding and burning like any other young adult would after a long weekend, only mines not self inflicted by over priced cocktails and 99p shots. I lay their in pain from my toes to the top of my head, my legs restless, unable to find a comfortable position even in my cloud

M.E/CFS and Fibromyalgia Awareness Day!

Hello Everyone! Today is International M.E/CFS and Fibromyalgia Awareness day!  There are lots of people all over the UK, actually, all over the world fundraising all week but especially today and you can do your bit too. As we cant run a sponsored marathon or anything energetic I believe that this Sunday the 17th we’re having a virtual Princess Tea Party where other sufferers and supporters will be dressing up as a princess and raising a cup of tea to M.E/CFS and Fibre Awareness Week which you can join too by using the hashtags #MEAwarenessWeek, #VirtualTeaPartyForME and #TeaPartyForME. I understand not everyone has the money to donate to charity, I myself don’t as I can’t work although I’m lucky enough that my parents can still support me through this difficult time. I’m determined to pay them back in the future somehow.  You can help spread awareness though too. I don’t know anyone who doesn't have social media these days, even my Grandad has now!  Twitter I

Doctors, Hospitals and No Success.

I decided I think I should explain exactly what I have been through with the doctors and hospitals including treatments. As I explained in my post 'The Past 3 Years...' this all started just over 3 years ago now. I started having flu like symptoms just after Christmas 2010 and after seeing the doctors every week I was finally tested about 5 weeks later for Glandular Fever, by this time the doctor said the virus would probably have left my system so my blood tests all came back fine. Unfortunately there was never a definite answer for this mystery illness that started these long, long years. After finally going back to college and completing my A Levels and having my 18th birthday in June 2011 I went back to the doctors after the cold, blocked nose and coughing symptoms had gone but left me still aching all over, mainly in my legs.  At the beginning of August 2011 I went to the doctors AGAIN and I was sent to the 'GUM' department of the Princess Royal Hospital to be